About Me

Hi everyone! I'm Melissa and I am an elementary education and english major here at Salem State. I just transferred here from Middlesex Community College and I love it here! I can't wait to be a teacher someday! Hopefully second or third grade :)

Thursday, April 14, 2011

Violence in Schools


How can Violence in schools be prevented?

How common is school violence? According to the National School Safety Center, there have been 270 deaths that have occurred at schools across the nation. However, the number of deaths which occurred at schools decreased to 207 in 2000. Although the numbers are lower than those from 1992, it is still 207 deaths too many. If these deaths are occurring in schools, that means they are 100% preventable. Also, just because the number of deaths has decreased, does that mean the amount of school violence has decreased? The answer is no. This is because most school violence does not end in death.

What is being done now? According to the same survey done by the National School Safety Center, 84% of schools are using a low security system, while 11% are using a moderate security system. Shockingly only 2% of schools are using a high security system, leaving 3% with no security. Other schools are requiring that all students wear a name tag around their necks at all time with their photographs on them. However, I feel that this method will not prevent violence in the school, but it will prevent intruders from entering the school. It is safe to say that there is not enough being done today to prevent violence in schools.

What can be done? I believe that there is not one specific way to prevent violence in schools. However, there are many different things that could be done to try and prevent violence. Things can be done to try and prevent violence without installing a massive security unit, and forcing all students to walk through a metal detector everyday. Teachers and other school staff members can take responsibility of things that not only go on in the classroom, but what goes on outside of the classroom. Teachers can pay attention to things that happen in the hallways, at recess and at lunch. Teachers also can pay attention to conversations that are happening between their students. By paying attention to things like this, teachers may be able to pick up on hints or clues that may lead to violence. It seems that sometimes bullying leads to violence, so trying to prevent bullying may help to prevent violence. It teachers, students, and parents watch for signs of bullying, they can tell someone and make sure it is stopped before something worse happens, like an act of violence.We can also teach students that if they hear something or witness something like someone being bullied, or someone talking about committing a violent act, that they need to tell someone, and can tell someone without being a "tattle tail." We need to encourage students that telling someone is the right thing to do.

I believe that by taking precautions and watching out for certain signs can help to prevent violence. Like I said before, I do not think that there is one specific way for violence to be prevented, but by taking the time to watch for certain behaviors or conversations, we can possibly prevent acts of violence!

http://712educators.about.com/cs/schoolviolence/a/schoolviolence_2.htm
http://712educators.about.com/od/schoolviolence/tp/prevent_school_violence.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment