About Me

Hi everyone! I'm Melissa and I am an elementary education and english major here at Salem State. I just transferred here from Middlesex Community College and I love it here! I can't wait to be a teacher someday! Hopefully second or third grade :)

Sunday, March 27, 2011

Education is a recipe

I think that education is a recipe. In order to follow a recipe you must have the right amount of each ingredient. Most recipes require similar base ingredients, just like each student needs the same basic necessities for learning. The most important base ingredient, which is in every recipe, is curriculum. The ingredient that goes hand and hand with curriculum is the teacher. A qualified teacher, who understand the curriculum and how to teach it, who is caring and wants each student to succeed. A safe learning environment where each student feels comfortable is another base ingredient. After the base ingredients are added, the special ingredients which differ for each recipe, are added. Each student requires different ingredients, just like a recipe. The special ingredients in the recipe represents what makes each student unique. It is important that every student is different because that is what makes a unique, diverse classroom. If a classroom is diverse, students can learn from each others differences and hopefully become more tolerant and accepting of different cultures and backgrounds. No one would like it if there was only one thing to eat in the whole world right? Right. That is why it is so special to have millions of different recipes!

Sometimes your recipe doesn't turn out as planned. You add too much salt or not enough sugar, and your recipe does not come out perfect. This can also happen in education. Some students have disabilities, some students do not quite understand the material, and other students act up in the classroom. However, when a recipe doesn't come out right, it can be fixed. Just like when there is a struggling student, the situation can be dealt with, and you make the best of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment